Career Workshop – early PhDs
“Career Planning for Doctoral Candidates in the Health Sciences”
The majority of PhD holders leave academia and choose one of the many job options outside research. Many young scientists struggle with finding their own career path and they rarely take the time to reflect on what kind of work they would actually like to do, on what their values, interests and goals in life are. This is where this workshop comes in that covers the following topics:
- Discovering career and life goals: What kind of work would you like to do? What are your dreams and ideas for the future?
- Exploring career options: Where do people with a PhD outside academia work?
- Analyzing skills and competencies: What are you good at? What do you enjoy doing? Which “hidden” competencies are you maybe not aware of?
- Make a plan: What are the next steps?
After this course, participants
- Have a better understanding of their life and career goals
- Have analyzed their skills and competencies
- Are aware of career options outside science
- Have designed their individual career development plan
Iris Köhler is an accredited Kompetenzenbilanz-Coach (PerformPlus) and Career-Coach (Dr. Migge-Seminar). She conducts her career coachings in a holistic way. It’s not just about competencies and job opportunities, but also bigger questions like: How do you find purpose in your life? Where do you want to go in life? How can you live your values? She combines the cognitive-rational world with the intuitive-emotional world.
University of Basel PhD students of the Faculty of Medicine and of Swiss TPH.
Preference is given to those registered to PPHS
Students have not participated in another PPHS career workshop.
Group size: maximum 12 participants
Workload & credits
30h course work (Zoom sessions and self-study)
Individual online coaching session (1 hr)
The setup of the course requires 100% attendance. PPHS will charge a fee of CHF 50 in case of cancellation later than 2 weeks before the course starts, or if you don’t attend the course.
Advanced PhD can also register for the course “Career Workshop: Advanced PhDs” taking place later this year.
Career planning is part of the competence Self-management (“Organisation & Management”).