Registration at the University of Basel
The candidates are required to have a master’s degree recognized by the University of Basel in a field relevant to the corresponding discipline.
Prospective students need to find a primary advisor at the University of Basel. They are advised to regularly check the university job market page or the individual institutes’ websites for PhD openings. Alternatively, they may contact the faculty members of their choice directly providing a letter of motivation, a brief outline of their research idea, and their curriculum vitae.
Faculty of Medicine (Clinical Research, Epidemiology/Public Health incl Insurance Medicine, Medicine Development, Nursing Science, Sport Science)
Application for admission
1.Application for admission
After the approval by the primary advisor prospective students are required to apply for admission to the PhD program at the University of Basel. The following documents should be submitted to the Student Administration Office:
- Online application form
- Check list (Checklist)
- Affirmation of the primary advisor (request form) – including the guarantee of financial support
- PhD project description (2’000 – 5’000 characters, 0.5 – 1 page)
- Tabular curriculum vitae (Sample)
- Authenticated copies of Bachelor’s and Master’s degree certificates and transcripts (Guidelines)
- Certificate of eligibility for university entrance (copy)
- Copy of passport or identity card (back and front)
Please note that applications can be submitted to the Student Adminstration Office throughout the year and at least three weeks before the PhD Board of the Faculty of Medicine (Promotionsausschuss) meeting.
The Student Administration Office processes the application and passes it on to the Faculty PhD Student Office. The final decision is provided by the PhD Board which meets regularly.
After the acceptance of the application the candidate can enroll as a PhD student at the Student Administration Office.
2. Submission of PhD agreement and full research proposal
The following document need to be submitted to the Faculty PhD Student Office within six months after the admission:.
- Full research proposal including time table and Learning Agreement (Guidelines, “How to write a proposal“)
Please send your full proposal to the Faculty PhD student office (email@example.com).
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the PPHS coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
In Nursing Science,a buddy system has been established. For any questions please contact: email@example.com