Writing a PhD thesis proposal in Health Sciences
PhD students at the Medical Faculty and the Swiss TPH must write a thesis proposal within the first six months after registration as a PhD student at the University of Basel. In support, PPHS offers a course in writing a PhD thesis proposal in collaboration with supervisors. The training focuses on the structure and process of proposal development leading to a successful submission.
Students will learn how to develop sound and convincing proposals for their doctoral thesis. The course covers organizational and ethical questions and describes the underlying logic of a convincing, rational plan for research. The course includes research objectives and benefits, data presentation, and scientific writing conventions.
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Identify the research problem with a sound research question, defining general and specific objectives, and proposing an informed hypothesis
- Develop an appropriate methodology to investigate the research question by addressing the objectives and hypotheses
- Understand the importance of ethical research conduct and prepare to submit the proposal to the relevant ethics commission(s)
- Write and revise more confidently in English
Through individual document review with the instructor, students will be able to:
- Receive and integrate feedback on their own proposal drafts
- Complete the thesis proposal within the first six months of their program
- Prepare a five slide summary of their thesis project
Maximum 12 registered PhD students (University of Basel) from PPHS, Biomedical Engineering, Infection Biology, and/or PhD students preparing to register to PPHS.
Carol Leininger, MPH, PhD, writing coach (doneisgreat.com).
Workload & credits
Three group sessions (~60 min each), independent work on your own proposal, an individual feedback session with the instructor (60 min), and a closing group session presenting thesis proposals.
After participation in all group sessions (including presentation), completing the assignments and 1 review session with the instructor, 1 ECTS will be awarded. Learning contract required.
In this course, you will improve not only on all of the “Knowledge & Scientific” competencies but also on Project Management and Self Management (“Organisation & Management”).
6,13 & 20 Oct 2021 6.15 – 7.15pm
Dec 2021 (presentation session)
See details in ‘course structure’ below
currently planned on-site: Room Matterhorn, Swiss TPH, Socinstrasse 55a, Basel
online participation possible
The course consists of three in-class meetings, an individual one-to-one review session, and a group presentation session.
- The in-class meetings are currently planned on-site (online participation possible). Dependent on the situation with Corona, we might switch to an online only format. In that case we will inform all registrants.
- The face-to-face reviewing session, via Zoom or Skype, will be planned individually between you and the lecturer.
- In the presentation session, you will present your proposal to the class in 5 minutes (5 slides). Session dates will be confirmed after the first in-class session.