Academic Writing in the Health Sciences
This is a course from the competence ‘Knowledge and Scientific’. The course is focused on scientific writing.
Communicating research results in international peer-review journals is a critical aspect of scientific education and work. Preparing manuscripts for publication is a key skill acquired during PhD training. Concise writing and careful journal consideration greatly increase the chance of successful academic publishing. This workshop provides background information and training on academic writing in the Health Sciences. Basic and advanced knowledge and skills that are critical for successfully and concisely presenting and disseminating research in international peer-reviewed scientific journals will be discussed and feedback on current manuscripts will be provided.
- Developing a working routine
- Steps towards successful international publishing
- How to choose a target journal
- Principles of effective writing in English
- Writing a scientific manuscript
- Referencing, Data presentation in figures and tables
- Submitting a scientific manuscript
- Peer-review process
At the end of this workshop participants will understand critical issues of academic manuscript preparation. They will learn concise scientific writing skills and be familiar with important resources for successful scientific publishing. Participants will prepare a scientific abstract on their research.
Prof. Dr. Annegret Mündermann. Head Functional Biomechanics Group, Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital Basel.
All members of PPHS are eligible for this course.
- Phase I: 20 PhD students can participate, writing experience is not required.
- Phase II: a maximum of 12 PhD students, who are working on their first publication while attending the course, can participate.
Workload & credits
Participants are required to attend all lectures. Participants will prepare a scientific abstract on their research.
- Phase I: 9 h lecture, 21 h homework (1 ECTS)
- Phase II: 9 h lecture, 50 h homework (2 ECTS)
Registration opens 1. August 2020.
Opens 1. August 2020